Choosing a career path is one of the most crucial decisions in life.
And it’s not always easy!
Because too many factors come into play when picking a career path. For instance, what’s your passion, what are you good at, and what income level are you targeting?
So, with so many career choices to pick from, is basic industries a good career path for you? And again, the answer varies depending on the angle you look at it.
Let’s dive in and see if the basic industries sector makes a good career path…
Basic Industries: a good career path?
In short: Yes, basic industries is a good career path to pursue.
Basic industries encompass the production and distribution of essential goods and materials. This career path can be a good choice for individuals with a strong work ethic, an interest in hands-on tasks, and a desire to contribute to foundational sectors of the economy. Basic industries offer job stability, diverse opportunities, and the potential for professional development, making it a viable and rewarding career path for many.
According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, there are approximately 24,504,000 jobs available in basic industries in the United States. These industries encompass a wide range of sectors such as manufacturing, construction, mining, and agriculture. It is projected that by 2030, the number of jobs in these industries will grow by 2.7%, indicating positive employment prospects for individuals seeking careers in basic industries. (source)
However, as with any career path, you have to research the specific industry and job you’re interested in to ensure it’s a good fit for your skills and interests.
Why is basic industries a good career path?
The followings are the factors that make this an ideal career path:
- Essential goods production: Basic industries focus on producing necessary goods, such as metals, minerals, and chemicals, ensuring consistent demand and job security.
- Infrastructure development: This sector plays a crucial role in the construction of infrastructures like roads, buildings, and bridges, contributing to societal and economic progress.
- Technological advancements: As technology continues to advance, basic industries adopt innovative methods to improve production efficiency, offering opportunities to learn and work with cutting-edge tools and machinery.
- Environmental impact: This sector is increasingly focused on sustainable practices, providing opportunities to contribute to the development of eco-friendly solutions and minimize negative environmental impacts.
- Skill development: Pursuing a career in basic industries provides opportunities to develop valuable skills such as problem-solving, teamwork, and project management
Now, we can’t just not talk about the cons of the job and move ahead. Let’s take a look…
Cons of basic industries jobs
While the career in basic industries can be rewarding, it also has its downsides.
- Volatile market conditions: Basic industries are often subject to fluctuations in commodity prices and global demand, which may impact job stability and profitability of companies within the industry.
- Physically demanding work: Many roles in basic industries require strenuous labor, operating heavy machinery, or working in challenging conditions, which may not be suitable for people with certain physical limitations.
- Environmental concerns: Some basic industries have historically been associated with pollution or environmental degradation, potentially leading to public scrutiny and a negative perception of the sector.
Top skills required for the job
Here are some top skills that are commonly required for basic industries jobs:
- Technical knowledge
- Equipment operation
- Safety training
- Project management
Best paying jobs in basic industries sector
Like any other job out there, the satisfactory level might depend on the type of basic industries job you choose. Here are some of the best-paying jobs in basic industries you can consider:
|Job Role||Average Salary|
|Petroleum Geologist||$113,349 per year (*)|
|Mining Engineer||$97,933 per year (*)|
|Health & Safety Officer||$55,739 per year (*)|
Keep in mind that the salary range can vary widely depending on the location, the size of the company, the specific role and responsibilities. And also, these are high-paying jobs that usually require a significant amount of experience and expertise.
Average annual salary of basic industries jobs
The average annual salary for basic industries jobs varies greatly depending on the role and industry.
Some common basic industries jobs include positions such as production workers, warehouse associates, and machine operators, which have median salaries ranging from $25,000 to $45,000 per year in the United States.
More specialized and senior roles such as industrial engineers, quality control managers, and plant managers can earn salaries upwards of $75,000 or more per year, depending on experience and expertise. — (source)
Companies like Chevron, PPG Industries, Valero Energy and many more have multiple positions with some awesome remuneration.
Explore other interesting career paths:
- Is Technology a Good Career Path?
- Is Finance a Good Career Path?
- Is Real Estate Investment Trusts a Good Career Path?
Whether or not basic industries is a good career path depends on your individual skills, interests, and goals. But as a broad field that encompasses many different industries and job opportunities, the path offers diverse options for those with Technical knowledge and Equipment operation skills.
Additionally, it can provide job stability, career progression, and the potential for growth and advancement. However, always keep in mind that basic industries jobs can also have some cons like Volatile market conditions, Physically demanding work, and Environmental concerns as compared to other fields like Technology, Finance, and Real Estate Investment Trusts.
Ultimately, it is important to do your research and carefully consider your own strengths and interests before pushing a career in basic industries.
- https://www.ibisworld.com/united-states/list-of-industries/. Accessed 18 June 2023.
- “What Companies Are in the Basic Industries Field?” BestColleges.Com, https://www.bestcolleges.com/bootcamps/guides/what-companies-are-in-the-basic-industries-field/. Accessed 18 June 2023.
- “Primary Sector of the U.S.” Statista, https://www.statista.com/topics/8913/primary-sector-of-the-us/. Accessed 18 June 2023.